In our worship gathering last Sunday we spent time around tables thinking about ways we could live “questionably” as neighbors this Advent season. Here are some of the ideas people shared.
- “Candy Cane Bomb” someone’s front yard. Basically, t.p. their house and yard with candy canes and then ring the doorbell and run.
- Call a family member you haven’t talked to in awhile out of the blue.
- Invite neighbors or co-workers to service projects
- Invite others to go sledding whenever you are headed out yourself
- Pass out cookies
- Hot apple cider in the front yard
- Christmas lights contest on your block with a cash prize
- Christmas caroling (and you could share what Christmas means to you)
- Rake someone’s yard or shovel their driveway
- Caroling/hayride in a pickup truck
- Caroling at a retirement community or children’s cancer ward in a hospital
- Grill in your front yard (hey, it’s still warm in Colorado!)
- Invite someone to a Christmas show like the Nutcracker
- Pick a weekly focus for yourself or your family (For example, choose to “favor others” in a given week. Talk about it in the morning and debrief how you were able to do it in the evening)
- Ask neighbors to join you in hosting an event
What other ideas do you have?