1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
All information is at our finger tips. We have no need for memory. But information alone does not transform. As the words of God take root in our souls they gain the power to transform us.
A couple notes about the reading during this series.
- Every other day there is a short passage from John. The intention for this is that you will read it slowly. Read it multiple times. Consider what God is saying through this. Don’t just blow through it.
- On the other days we are reading books from the Old Testament that speak to what it means to live and speak good news in a society that doesn’t fear or serve God.
- Monday: John 10
- Tuesday: Jonah 4
- Wednesday: John 10:1-5
- Thursday: John 10:7-10
- Friday: John 10:11-18
- Saturday: John 10:25-30
- Sunday: John 10
As you read about God, how he has revealed himself, and his ways, take a few minutes to consider these questions.
- What connects with you or stands out today?
- What does this say about God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and how do you respond to that?
- How does this relate to all areas of your life–relationships, work, rest, neighborhood, etc?
During this series we will focus on consistency in prayer for things relating to the good news of Jesus. Each day of the week has a different focus. This could be a great time to keep a prayer journal so you can look back at the prayers you’ve prayed in previous weeks.
- Monday: Confess your sin to God. The good news is that when we confess our sin he is faithful and just to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Tuesday: Ask the Spirit speak to you and listen. The good news is that God has given us his Spirit to live in us.
- Wednesday: Pray for the salvation of someone who does not know Jesus. The good news is that Jesus came to seek and save the lost.
- Thursday: Pray for opportunities to proclaim the good news of Jesus through your words and actions. The good news is that God is already at work in people and you can join him.
- Friday: Pray for a specific issue in our society. The good news is that God is working to see his kingdom come and his will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Saturday: Pray for your workplace or a specific co-worker. The good news is that God is using your work and workplace to form you and contribute to his mission in the world.
- Sunday: Pray for our time together in worship. The good news is that the sacrifice of Jesus not only saves us but calls the church together as a family.
To live life with someone we have to interact with them and spend time together. It is no different with God. As you connect with God remember that others are doing this with you today. It is a way we are the body of Christ together.